Science Center/ Baltimore Star-Spangled Banner Trip Planner Tips
Ft. McHenry: 1-410-962-4290 ext 243
Mary Pickersgill's Home "The Flag House": 410-837-1793
Sci Center: 410-545-5955
(Contact these locations at least a few months in advance to set your dates prior to the 1st of the year!)
(The cost per scout/leader for just the Sci. Center Sleepover is about $40.00...But it is REALLY worth it!)
1. Complete a TOUR PERMIT and Set a Date on a Saturday!
2. Parents & Scouts meet in the morning @ 8:00 at the Elks.
3. If you, as a parent, would like to tag along with us in Baltimore during the day that would be fine. There will be additional charges for you to get into Mary Pickersgill's Flag House & Ft. McHenry. After any of the events you can head home for the day. However, you are welcome to stay with the group through dinner.
4. Scouts MUST fill in the enclosed Health Form/Permission slip.
5. Scouts/Parents must bring a minimum of $5.00 for The Flag House, $20.00 for dinner, and any additional money for those wonderful gift shops!
6. We have a SUPER busy day ahead of us on Sat. Get a good night's sleep on Friday!
7. Camp in Weather info Cancellation hotline: 410-545-5881
8. Create a list of the Chaperones/Leaders that will be going with the group. There are a limited number of leaders who can go per number of scouts! Contact the Science Center for info. or Jeff Bell.
9. After doing this trip we felt that this was the best schedule for several reasons. First, it was "Fun" with a purpose! Second, by the time 11:45pm came around our kids WERE tired....unlike some of the other Pack's that brought scouts to this event! Best of luck planning your event!
Sample Schedule for A Saturday/Sunday PACK 532 Trip
8:00 a.m. Meet at the Elks
8:05 a.m. Lesson about Ft. McHenry & Mary Pickersgill House in Balt. (The lady that made the Star Spangled Banner!)
8:30 a.m. Leave the Elks for Mary Pickersgill's House
10:00 a.m. Tour Mary Pickersgill's (approx. Scout's $4.00 / adults $6.00)
11:00 a.m. Leave Mary Pickersgill's House
11:30 a.m. Arrive at Ft. McHenry in Baltimore
11:45 a.m. Eat lunch at Ft. McHenry (BRING A BAGGED LUNCH)
3:30 p.m. Leave for dinner - Eat at a restaraunt - Five Guys (Burgers and Fries) or Pizza
4:00 p.m. Dinner at - Five Guys (Burgers and Fries) or Pizza as a group! (Scout's will need $20.00 and will get change back...also collect a $1.00 per scout to leave a tip: Remember a Scout is KIND & COURTEOUS...not just THRIFTY). The left over money can be spent at the Science Center gift shop!!!
5.30 p.m. or so, report to Science Center for Camp-In & Check-In
6:30 p.m. Opening Activities & Announcements
6:45 p.m. Workshops, Planetarium, & Snack.
10:30 p.m. Bedtime
11:00 p.m. Lights out
6:30 a.m. Lights on
7:00 a.m. Breakfast
8:10 a.m. IMAX Movie
9:00 a.m. Camp-In activities conclude
10:30 a.m. Pick up scouts at Elks
On Saturday, Scouts should wear the "Field" full uniform & jeans. Under the scout shirt wear the Pack 532 "Yellow Activity Shirt". We will wear the full uniform all day and during dinner. After we get to the Sci Center we will change into the yellow Pack 532 Activity shirt and sweat pants that we will wear to do all evening activities in, sleep in, and return home in. Try to keep this evening wear close to the top of their bag. Below is a list of what each scout will need for the trip (Keep it minimal as per requested by the Science center.
What to Bring!
COMPLETED HEALTH FORM !!! & Any Medications Turned into the leader
A BAGGED Lunch for Satuday Afternoon!
$20.00 (for Dinner in the Inner Habor area!)
Jacket (We will be doing some outdoors activities and a LOT of walking!)
Field uniform "Class A" (To be worn during the day on Saturday.)
Yellow Pack 532 "Tee shirt" (To be worn during the day on Saturday under class "A" and evening events)
Jeans (To be worn during the day on Saturday.)
Socks & underwear (To be worn during the day on Saturday under class "A" and evening events)
Sweatpants AND Shorts (To be worn during evening and sleeping at Science Center)...NO PAJAMAS
Sleeping Bag & Pillow Sleeping Mat (optional)
Tooth brush & toothpaste
Shoes (Must be worn at all times even in the Science Center!)
A second pair of undies for Sunday morning (Remember the motto is "Be PREPARED!") Just in Case???
(Optional) A camera
(Optional) Extra $$$$MONEY$$$ for the gift shop
(Optional) All of this stuff should fit in a trash bag or duffel bag with scout's name clearly printed on it!!!! Example: Joey Shmoey-Pack 532 Easton, MD
NO- FOOD, DRINKS, or Electronics (game players, CD, DVD, or MP3) ALLOWED!!!!